The first Shure factory, located at 225 West Huron Street in downtown Chicago, served the Company during dramatic changes that took place from 1931 through the early 1950s. On November 27, 1954, at a plant meeting, Sidney N. Shure announced that a new plant would be constructed in Evanston, Illinois, a suburb adjacent to Chicago.

At an all-plant meeting, Sidney N. Shure announces that the Company will move to Evanston, Illinois. Sharing the stage to talk about different aspects of the move are (seated behind Mr. Shure, left to right) Vic Machin, Vice President of Sales; Ben Bauer, Chief Engineer; and Maury Cope, Vice President of Personnel.
Company executives considered the site ideal. It was close to public transportation, making it accessible to employees living in different areas of the city; and it was in a “quiet area of town,” which was important for testing microphones and other audio equipment. When the new headquarters opened in 1956, it was acclaimed as “one of the finest in the audio industry.” The offices and manufacturing areas were designed for safety, comfort, and productivity—incorporating many of the latest advances in technology.

From 1931 to 1956, the Company was located in a factory building at 225 West Huron Street in Chicago.
Since 1956, Shure has built a number of new facilities, including two manufacturing plants in Mexico for microphone assembly and finishing, but Evanston continues to be the home of the corporate headquarters and the S.N. Shure Technology Center.

In 1956, Shure moved into a modern building it constructed in Evanston, Illinois. In 2000, this location continues to serve as the Company headquarters.

Above: The first “welcome brochure” created for employees at the Evanston facility.

The hourglass was a five-foot-tall promotional display that Shure presented at trade shows and Company events. In 1955, the unusual display announced Shure’s move from downtown Chicago to a larger, more modern facility in the adjacent suburb of Evanston, Illinois.
